My Reasons for Liking Living in the Southern United States.


I wrote this a year or two ago and dedicated it to Pam Price.   I had said a few things that got her a little riled at me and then realized the error of my ways.  I don't even recall what I said.  It may have had something to do with the South, but maybe not.  I really can't remember.  However, I did just come across the list and if a list still rings true to me after several years it has to be a pretty good list so I thought I would share it here.
Dedicated to Pam Price......"Things I love about the South and Southerners".
1. Casual politeness is not dead.
2. People still teach their kids the terms of respect for adults, "yes Sir, No Maam"
3. Conservative Culture
4. Its not dominated by environment worshipers.
5. Grits, pulled pork bbq, sweet tea, hush puppies, boiled peanuts, fried chicken, fried Catfish, fried okra, pecan pie, fried green tomato's, pimento cheese.
6. Hot Hot summers, warm winters
7. Women still dress like women and act like women. Southern Charm is not lost and is why I am sorry I upset Pam that day, and why she and other women like her can turn me on a dime.
8. Magnolia Trees
9. A pro business mindset that results in affordable living for everyone.
10. The people by-enlarge have not forgotten God as part of their culture. For the most part people that attend church still out number those that do not.
11. Dirt race tracks, NASCAR, fried bologna sandwiches, and grilled turkey legs.
12. College Football is king, watching games with my friends, the Carolina/Clemson Rivalry and tailgating (although it is rare for me to get to do it).
13. Hilton Head.
14. Greenville and the surrounding areas as being great places to live and work.
15. An ice cold RC and a moon pie on a hot summer day.
16. Man-made lakes that produce both power and recreation.
17. Good Ole' Boys in the sense that there are just alot of good old down to earth men around.
18. We launch rockets and space vehicles from here and built the most advanced fighter aircraft the world has ever seen....Southerners are not stupid as some might suggest.
19. Even though Southerners find driving safely to be a challenge it is rooted in a somewhat rebellious streak that tells government where they can get off the bus and go back to their overbearingly large desks and just leave them alone.
20.  We have Parris Island

Comments

  1. Not bad for a Mainer ...you did o.k. here sir....so what are you going to print in the rest of your blog...????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Rude comments will be removed.

Popular Posts